Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yoga....not for big boned girls!

The other day I had the bright idea of going and checking out the free class at the local rec center. I was super excited and was even willing to pay $5/hour for daycare just to go the the free class (go figure) I guess I was expecting aerobics or something but was pleasantly surprised when the instructor showed up and said we were going to be doing yoga. Sweet, I can tell myself I worked out without having had to break too much of a sweat. Wrong. I'm significantly bigger since the last time I did yoga. In college I had this fantastic yoga tape that I would do and really loved it. I think that was the last time I did yoga in fact!
Needless to say it wasn't long before I was loosing my balance and feeling over-exerted from just coming up from downward dog. The funniest part was when I actually attempted balancing my body on my hands by squatting down, twisting my arms around to the outside of my legs in order to balance my weight on my hands. (can't recall the name of the position) Let's call that position "Bottom Blossum" as my a@#! was presented in all it's glory as my face was ever so gracefully smashed on the stinky mat!
I'm reverting to the yoga tape so I can maintain some shred of positive self image. There is a reason they don't make yoga pants in size 16!

3 comments:

Natalie said...

I have never tried yoga, but it does look really hard. I suck at balancing so I am sure I would end up sprawled out on the floor at some point.

Jessica said...

Diane,
I have to do yoga once a week at the eating disorder clinic I worked out, it KILLED my knees! I was hoping it would be easier on the joints. The insturctor was inexperienced enough to not have any modifications for me.
Now, for being a bigger girl, whatever Di! I would be interested in taking some classes withe you. I know at city center yoga they have all different types of yoga, elderly, plus size(I don't know what they call it, but I am the one who fits the mold for that one not you), and even ones for people who have bad joints.

If not yoga, lets go to the dog park!

shelley said...

hahahahahahhaha! thanks for the laugh (even if it is at your expense!) and good for you for at least trying something new!