Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Holiday Review

I just had to check the calendar to see what day it was. I knew it was January, but the exact date seems a little foggy. Maybe it was because we started off the new year with a puking child. Maybe it's because the bug she had then spread to me, jon a day later grandma, aunt tawnya and cousin savanna. If you too have been spending 12 hours straight in the bathroom....I'm sorry. It's seriously a crazy bug!
Enough bathroom talk. I really wanted to review the good times we had the last few weeks.

We mixed up the traditions this year. Because my mom has a crazy work schedule mi familia got together on Christmas Eve. We ate soup and let the kids decorate cookies. I tried to capture the mess but the camera doesn't do it justice. It was padilerium! Sprinkles should not be in the hands of young children (where is the warning on the label?!!!)


And no, the chaos of cookie decorating didn't contribute to the messy hair. That's just how we role.

That night we got our little family together to tell the story of Christmas. Jon had the fantastic idea of using the nativity to tell the story. Super cute! Christmas day was nice. When Silvia woke up I thought I'd just sit back and see how she reacted to the lit tree and presents. So what does she do? She spies the lit tree walks toward it only to notice not the over abundance of wrapped packages (seriously, how many toys does a two year old need Dianne! ((I'm chastising myself so next year I'll be more restrained)).....ahemm...so she's headed for the tree when she diverts and heads right to the plate of goodies laid out. Once she stuffs a jelly ring into her mouth she comes back to me and tells me about the treats. Treats, really? Do I deprive my little one of chocolate so much so that it warrants ignoring Christmas presents? In her defense, she takes a little while to wake up in the morning.


Once the treat distraction was removed and daddy became more alert (now we know where she gets it!) we all moved on to the opening ritual. She really enjoyed opening up gifts and was genuinely excited about every little thing.


It was really nice to be able to take it easy Christmas morning. That evening we moved the party on over to the Olson's where Silvia got to see all her cousins, we ate more yummy soup and exchanged family gifts.


All in all, we had a lot of fun and I think we were able to maintain the spirit of the holiday too in remembering the birth of Jesus Christ. What a beautiful moment in the history of the world! I can't put my feelings quite into words. That's why I've retyped this small paragraph three times and am now giving up. Let's just say I'm deeply touched by the event of Jesus Christ's birth on the earth.


Fin. for now.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

Isn't the best part about the holidays the food? I am with Silvi, go for the goodies first!

S said...

We're just getting over the throwing up! It's so awful, I'm hoping it didn't spread to grandma. I'm glad you guys are over it. And Silvia is so cute and big! I was just remembering how she was only two months old when I met her. I loved shopping for toys for my kids, and they didn't care at all! Stopping at the candy in the stocking would ahve been great for them, too.

shelley said...

cute girl. we roll with messy hair all the time too. what's up with all the soup? haha! when does baby get here? i already forgot...