Tuesday, January 20, 2009

My baby's "baby"

I know toddlers are impressionable and mine is no exception. Since mommy has been trying to convey the concept of having another baby Silvia has taken to the idea pretty easily. She's old enough to associate my changing body with the growth of a baby. So I shouldn't have been surprised when she started talking about the baby in her belly. Yep, my daughter has a baby in her belly. At first I'll admit I was a little weirded out and thought about curbing my belly rubbing and talking about the baby. Then I thought, "hey, this is completely natural and this is how a 2 year old works out that whole baby business." Then it just got funny.
Example #1: Rubbing her tummy, Silvia looks at me and says "My belly hurts, My baby is kicking." (Immediately I recognize that I am obsessing about my belly and the active child within too much!)
Example #2: When asked what sex the baby that mom is having she replys: "Mom has a boy and I have a girl." Great. I'm already a grandma.
Example #3 and topping the cake. Silvia has been going to my midwife appointments with me and at the apppointments I get measured and we listen to the heart beat. Julie, my midwife, was gracious enough a few weeks ago to let Silvia help with the tape measure and help put the goo on the microphone. I loved it because I thought it really helped her feel involved. Two weeks ago I mentioned to Julie that Silvia has been talking about the baby in her belly. Once I brought this up and Julie asked her about it I opened the gates. Then Silvia said it was "her turn" on the table. Julie obliged and then measured her belly and even got the microphone out to listen to the baby. Silvia even insisted on the goo! Hilarious! I didn't have my camera that time but I went to my appointment on Monday prepared.
Here is my baby, getting her baby check up:

Don't worry. She's not all grown up just yet. She has insisted on being a "green fairy" for the last few days (hence the tutu seen in the photo). A good sign that she is still in the throws of her childhood.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cute! Don't you love the things kids say. She will be a good big sister. It was nice to see Jon when he was down here. Good luck with the baby, if we don't see you.
Steph

The Webber's said...

That is so funny!!! Hopefully she will be as excited about the baby when he appears at your house!!!

Jaynie said...

Cute Silvi! That is funny.

Natalie said...

That is so hilarious!

Jessica said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

Sweet big sis Silvi. The green tutu just makes the picture.

And what a sweet midwife to take the time with her.

Meghann said...

That is the cutest thing I've ever heard. It's so great that you've gotten her so involved.